BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've returned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: I've returned Reply with quote

After a long time away from the transit boards, I've decided to return. I've been in the bus scene lately for the most part, just a bit disenchanted with the departure of the GMC RTSs and the Classics. However I went to Eastchester on Tuesday and felt enchanted to find that the 1989 ex-Liberty and NYBS Classics are being kept as part of the reserve fleet.

I've always been a big fan of the 6V-92TA, the bus world's been a boring place without them. However, since I live in Riverdale by the Bx10 and 20, I'll say I like the fact that we're getting 400 series O5s these days. Those buses have the best engine sound of any MTA bus alive these days. We just recently got 479 and 491 from Castleton, besides them we have 446-470, except for three buses in that sequence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back and let me make you feel a little better yet. I have heard 7344, 7867 and 7868 went to Dept Of Corrections in addition to what went before these. That means your bus is still alive-- somewhere out there. In a weird way, I guess you can say it went back in service.

Free Advise-- Don't do something to get another ride on that bus-- It Won't Be The Same As You Remember!!!!!!!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1988 MCI TC40-102A,

Your moniker sounds a lot like my social security number - but that's O.K. - to each his own!

I second GBL Rebel's motion in welcoming you back to BusTalkIII, and look forward to your valuable contributions.

Times change and with those changes go wonderfull thoughts of what used to be!

Personally, I'm an 'Old Look' steel wheels man and, while I adored the RTS's and the Classics, I think the 'plastic boxes' that they make today and call 'buses' are disgusting!

But that doesn't deter me from living in the past, enjoying the memories and bringing back to life (if only in pictures) those great buses of yesteryear.

If we don't do that, future generations will have know idea of what surface transportation was really like in the good old days.

Don't spite yourself by staying away - that's never the answer! The answer is to bring to us your fond memories so we may enjoy them to.

It works!

BTW; if it's any consolation, Santa Monica Municipal Bus Line (The Big Blue Bus) out here in L.A. still runs their beautifully kept GMD Classics on downtown runs every day as pictured below.

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santa Monica still runs the Classics on downtown runs? I'll have to remember that (and remember my camera as well.)

That being said, welcome back Ben. We're glad you're here!

Last edited by The Port of Authority on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always tough to see your favorite buses and other transit vehicles go. I once found myself in a similar situation, only a generation earlier. I grew up with the last of the GMC and Mack Old Look buses and the GMC and Flxible New Look buses (and PCC streetcars and rapid transit trains) in Boston. The Old Looks were sadly gone by the time I was old enough to begin taking pictures, but I enjoyed riding and photographing the fishbowls in the late 1970's and throughout the 1980's.

For me, it was the emergence of the RTS that dulled my enthusiasm, especially after these buses pretty much took over the Massachusetts transit scene by the early 1990's and the New Look buses gradually disappeared. I didn't hate the RTS, but I just wasn't all that excited by them. After a few years of photographing mainline freight and commuter rail trains, though, I came back to the transit bus scene. I revisited many of my favorite spots and enough had changed that it was interesting all over again, and I began to appreciate the RTS and other newer buses.

I've been in the hobby long enough now that I've seen several generations of buses come and go. The Flyer D901's that replaced the early 1960's GMC fishbowls in Boston were themselves replaced by TMC and Nova RTS's in 1996, and now the majority of those RTS buses will be replaced by New Flyer D40LF's next year. All of those buses have proven themselves as worthy successors to the fishbowls I grew up riding. What keeps this hobby interesting for me is that I now have photographs of three and four generations of buses at some of my favorite locations and routes in Boston. That's pretty cool.

Jim D.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other point - we are fortunate that Canada has different laws and funding and many transit systems there keep their older buses running longer than U.S. properties. For a New Look fan like myself, it has been a lot of fun to visit Toronto on numerous occasions and still be able to ride and photograph those great old buses in everyday service. The biggest thrill for me came last year when my son rode his first New Look buses with me in Ottawa and Toronto. Numerous transit systems in that country still operate Classics (many with 6V-92 engines), and I'm sure several will be running these buses for a while longer. I highly recommend a trip up there to get your Classic 'fix'. Smile
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
Welcome back and let me make you feel a little better yet. I have heard 7344, 7867 and 7868 went to Dept Of Corrections in addition to what went before these. That means your bus is still alive-- somewhere out there. In a weird way, I guess you can say it went back in service.

Free Advise-- Don't do something to get another ride on that bus-- It Won't Be The Same As You Remember!!!!!!!

I don't exactly care about them being in service as much as owning one. Anyway, forget 7868. There are several 1989 Classics (ex-NYBS/LLE, but more importantly ex-LLE) in Eastchester on the reserve fleet, so you know they'll be alive for a while and eventually they'll have to be put up for auction. So there is hope.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back, 1988 MCI TC40-102A! I can relate to your disappointment with your favorite buses disappearing. The buses of our youth will always be our favorites. But at least we can talk about them and share photos to rekindle those pleasant memories.
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
1988 MCI TC40-102A,

Your moniker sounds a lot like my social security number - but that's O.K. - to each his own!

I second GBL Rebel's motion in welcoming you back to BusTalkIII, and look forward to your valuable contributions.

Times change and with those changes go wonderfull thoughts of what used to be!

Personally, I'm an 'Old Look' steel wheels man and, while I adored the RTS's and the Classics, I think the 'plastic boxes' that they make today and call 'buses' are disgusting!

But that doesn't deter me from living in the past, enjoying the memories and bringing back to life (if only in pictures) those great buses of yesteryear.

If we don't do that, future generations will have know idea of what surface transportation was really like in the good old days.

Don't spite yourself by staying away - that's never the answer! The answer is to bring to us your fond memories so we may enjoy them to.

It works!

BTW; if it's any consolation, Santa Monica Municipal Bus Line (The Big Blue Bus) out here in L.A. still runs their beautifully kept GMD Classics on downtown runs every day as pictured below.

Picture borrowed for educational purposes only.

Well that's good. BTW, you do know that I'm Benjamin, right? I'm the same one to whom you sent that article from a bus magazine about Green Bus Lines.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benjamin ?,

I was wondering where my Benjamin went! (I really missed you).

I used to feel like a mentor to you on BusTalk.Net., and here I am mentoring to you again - with pleasure.

Anyway, enjoy BTIII and feel free to call upon any of us for help any time.

Bjc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back...what happen to you on AIM?
1988 MCI TC40-102A

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bjc wrote:
Welcome back...what happen to you on AIM?

I use it, but these days I just don't use the computer in general as much as before. I have alot of schoolwork these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: