BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Hi-Ho To the ('64/'65) Fair!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last surving Greyhound MACK C49DM, in the collection of the PBM.......

http://pacbus.org/roster/pbm1683.html
Retired TCC Inspector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: 1964/65 Worlds Fair Greyhounds Reply with quote

Fifteen of the Greyhound Shuttle buses were purchased by Triboro Coach Corp after the fair closed. They were renumbered 931-946 and remained in active service until the mid 1980's. They were really nice to drive..rode wonderfully due to a forward mounted fuel tank. They were the first A/C equipped buses in Triboro's fleet. The driver operated rear door took a little getting used to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1964/65 Worlds Fair Greyhounds Reply with quote

Retired TCC Inspector wrote:
Fifteen of the Greyhound Shuttle buses were purchased by Triboro Coach Corp after the fair closed. They were renumbered 931-946 and remained in active service until the mid 1980's. They were really nice to drive..rode wonderfully due to a forward mounted fuel tank. They were the first A/C equipped buses in Triboro's fleet. The driver operated rear door took a little getting used to.

Great info......appreciate your sharing with us here.

Had I known years ago that TRIBORO operated ex-Fair Fishbowls, I certainly would have journeyed from NJ into TRIBORO territory to take some pics and get me a ride or two! Very Happy

"NYO"

(too bad at leaat one of these buses was not saved and restored to its original '64 Fair livery!)
NorthShore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triboro's Greyhound WF fishbowls had the original plastic fiberglass longitudinal seats replaced with forward facing upholstered seats from Fifth Avenue Coach fishbowls they got from MABSTOA who replaced those seats with their own plastic fiberglass seats.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthShore wrote:
Triboro's Greyhound WF fishbowls had the original plastic fiberglass longitudinal seats replaced with forward facing upholstered seats from Fifth Avenue Coach fishbowls they got from MABSTOA who replaced those seats with their own plastic fiberglass seats.

NorthShore:

Really cool "in the know" trivia........really enjoy this sort of thing! Wink

Strangely, at bus.nycsubway.org, while there are a number of old TRIBORO Fishbowl pictures, there are not any showing one of the former Fair buses.

Would love to see one of those buses in TRIBORO paint....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREYHOUND pamphlets from the '64 Fair; interesting to note, where, in one instance, the Sightseeing Fishbowls are referred to as an "All-New Sightseeing Scenicruiser"! Rolling Eyes

http://www.nywf64.com/greyhound03.shtml
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, many eons ago, when folks would be all excited to see the latest model autos? (back in the days when autos did not look like lookalike blobs of fiberglass!) Shocked

This outstanding automotive page highlighting the new and experimental vehicles displayed at the '64 Fair also has some goodies for the GREYHOUND enthusiast:

"GREYHOUND: A MILLION MILES A DAY"

Man, take me back to the future! Very Happy

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/tag/1964-new-york-worlds-fair/

(courtesy: Hemmings Daily)
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great stuff! Thanks!
I had forgotten about those Mack's...yeah, they were still running when I was there in '71...

The golden anniversary brochure shows the "gold-stripe" Scenicruiser the way it should look...or the way I remember it. The slogan "Over A Million Miles A Day" was prominently displayed on the driver's uniform cap badge...in a beautiful gold on blue enamel. It replaced the former shield that had silver on blue, and read: "Coast To Coast". I have both as well as other's in my collection.... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
More great stuff! Thanks!
I had forgotten about those Mack's...yeah, they were still running when I was there in '71...

The golden anniversary brochure shows the "gold-stripe" Scenicruiser the way it should look...or the way I remember it. The slogan "Over A Million Miles A Day" was prominently displayed on the driver's uniform cap badge...in a beautiful gold on blue enamel. It replaced the former shield that had silver on blue, and read: "Coast To Coast". I have both as well as other's in my collection.... Cool

traildriver:

Again, you're welcome!

I have many 1960's tin toy GREYHOUNDS in my collection that sport the familiar "gold stripe"

Though inexpensive toys at the time, these once-commonplace tin buses now recall a specific time in GREYHOUND's rich history.

How did 50 years fly by so dang fast? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Just came across this rare photo taken at Huntington Station, in 1964 (LOVE those Fishbowls!) Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/roadnrail/lirrRoad-n-Rail_%20PublicityShot_Huntington.jpg

(courtesy: trainsarefun.com)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only will this excellent page bring a smile to all die-hard Fishbowl fans (I'm certainly one of them!) it will certainly bring back memories for some of you, I'm sure!

There is another classic c. 1964 WF photo here, as a little "extra"...... Wink

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/roadnrail/roadnrail.htm
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Not only will this excellent page bring a smile to all die-hard Fishbowl fans (I'm certainly one of them!) it will certainly bring back memories for some of you, I'm sure!

There is another classic c. 1964 WF photo here, as a little "extra"...... Wink

http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/roadnrail/roadnrail.htm

Thanks for that link!
I read the accompanying story of the LIRR 'Road and Rail' service, and it answered all my questions on the history of that service. I vaguely remember it, and wondered whether the LIRR ever actually operated it themselves...now I know the real story...thanks again!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

My pleasure!

In "STEEL RAILS TO THE SUNRISE" (Ron Ziel & George H. Foster, 1968) there is a photo of a LIRR Fishbowl on page #289, as well as a brief blurb on LIRR's bus operations.

It would indeed seem that photos of LIRR buses are not at all common!

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish some talented author would write a nice photo-book on the various railroad operated buslines.....I don't mean the large Greyhound and Trailways operations that were owned by various railroads before the ICC made them divest them in the forties and fifties, but the smaller operations in direct support of train services, some of which continued right up to Amtrak Day in 1971...
For example, the Union Pacific routes out of East Los Angeles, The Santa Fe routes from San Francisco to Richmond and Oakland, various Northern Pacific routes in Montana, etc....lots of them around the country....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I could not agree more!

I would certainly like to see a book dedicated to B&O's famed motor coach service that connected Manhattan and Brooklyn from trainside at the CNJ terminal at Jersey City, via the CNJ ferries to W. 23rd St. (until 1942) and Liberty St. (until 1958)

Many times, the entire vehicular load on these ferryboats would be made up of B&O buses........the B&O buses took TOP priority on the boats......other vehicles would simply have to wait for the next boat!

WHITES (1144's? 1150's?) were the last buses used in this unique service (which utilized a turntable at Jersey City!); just this operation alone is more than worthy of a good, detailed work, complete with vintage photos!

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: