BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:

They may not be able to tell the ages of the buses without looking at their registrations but we GM New Look enthusiasts sure can considering that the line was built in four phases with each having its own identifying marks.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Yep! Definitely 4th Generation new looks in both photos! Note that the drip channel above the front doors extends beyond the half moon window whereas on 3rd Generation new looks, it doesn't extend beyond the doors.

Note that the prices don't include tires. From what I was told is that many bus companies may own the buses, but the tires are leased from and owned by the tire manufacturers that more or less saves the bus companies money when it's time to have them replaced - apparently as part of the least agreement.

Can anyone elaborate on that?

Frankie

Frankie,
Yes, some bus operators do lease tires. I don't know how it works now but in the 60's in Reading the tire co. (I think Firestone) had a guy who came by and re-groved any bald tires with enough rubber. I don't think this is legal now. I know they leased tires at least into the 90's, and maybe still do. When I was driving for County of Lebanon Transit (now LT) we ran short of buses at one time and BARTA loaned us a new look. Free as long as we needed it, but we had to pay the tire rental.
R62CNG
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone please kill this trend already? It's holding back new trends from becoming popular.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:
Can someone please kill this trend already? It's holding back new trends from becoming popular.

R62CNG,

I was going to respond to your comment, but I think I'll give my colleagues that pleasure!

Mr. Linsky
Bill D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:

This "trend" is popular because many of us enjoy reading about and discussing the historic aspect of the bus industry. It is not going away anytime soon.

Bill
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:

First of all my young friend, the word you're looking for is TOPICS, not trends as you call it.

Will it go away anytime soon ? I doubt it because as BIL D just pointed out many of us enjoy reading the posts, seeing pictures of the old buses and posting our comments to this board.

If there is a topic you don't see, start it and maybe it will become as popular as this one is.
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R62CNG wrote:

You do have the option to start a new topic. If the topic warrants it, we will comment. Otherwise, I suggest you take a look at the following site which may pique your interest with regards to the current NYC scene.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forum/33-bus-photos-videos/

Frankie

(Youths of today. They just don't have any patience!)
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
R62CNG wrote:

You do have the option to start a new topic. If the topic warrants it, we will comment. Otherwise, I suggest you take a look at the following site which may pique your interest with regards to the current NYC scene.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forum/33-bus-photos-videos/

Frankie

R62CNG,

You are certainly welcome to start a new thread or respond to any of the older ones which may not have seen activity lately if they interest you. In addition to the site that Frankie mentioned - subchat.com/buschat/buschat.asp is a good one and I recall that you've posted there in the past. In any case, there's a lot of good information, from the present and the past, being exchanged on this and the other sites.
Tony A

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Mr. L and the other gentlemen who post and comment regularly on this board.

Although my posts are few and far between, I always check to see what is new here. As a child (before my family had a car) we rode the buses regularly and I was enthralled. The view was so much better than in the dark subway!

So many thanks for feeding my lifelong interest in NYC transit history, and keep up the great work.
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, I think it's safe to speak for all of us, but the pleasure is ours! As another transplanted New Yorker, we all enjoy sharing our wonderful memories of growing up in and around the city when different bus companies abounded and each make of buses has their own distinctive looks and personalities.

Some of us post and reply regularly while others just enjoy sitting back and enjoying the ride! Enjoy!

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might label the attached very historic image as a 'changing of the guard'.

Seen May 28th. 1947 trundling north and passing East 86th. Street on Manhattan's Third Avenue on the 'T' line between City Hall and Fort George at the northern end of Amsterdam Avenue is traction car #131 operating for the Third Avenue Railway System of New York (TARS).

It's a monumental day for #131 and its ilk as it makes its run for the very last time on the company's namesake thoroughfare.

#131's nemesis is seen taking its bows as it heads in the opposite direction in the form of a brand new 1947 44 passenger GM Coach modeled as a TDH 4507 and one of several hundred that will operate for TARS affiliate Surface Transportation System and will help to flood the company's rail routes in Manhattan and The Bronx in a conversion program.

Certainly a day of mixed emotions!

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available at eBay as item # 171264700908.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen on a rather chilly day in November of 1936 and readying for its next trip on the M-8 Grand Street Crosstown Line in lower Manhattan is fleet # 202 - a 1934 30 passenger Mack modeled as a 6-CL-3S and one of nearly forty likenesses numbered in the lower 200's operating for the Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Company.

This particular day and this particular trip from Varick Street on the West side to the East River via Grand Street is by no means routine for #202 as its chauffeur for the run, and presumably for any other that day, was president of the company M. Bernard Greenberg filling in for striking drivers.

I'm sure that the police officer was on hand to quell any disturbance by strikers and that the four gentlemen at the front door were company colleagues wishing their boss well.

M. Bernard Greenberg, a stockholder in Green Bus Lines (NY), and his brother Jacob acquired a controlling interest in the company in 1934 and purchased the balance of the stock immediately after the war.

Avenue B held the distinction of being the last Manhattan private operator to succumb to city control.

Photo courtesy of 'Historic Images' and is available at eBay as item# 351011368950.

Many thanks also go to Jeff Marinoff for the heads up on this one.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might call this a unique way to catch a bus!

It's sometime in the winter of 1950 and somewhere along one of the three Queens routes that radiate to the east, south or west of central Jamaica operated by Jamaica Buses, Inc. of Baisley Park, New York.

# 409, a 1947 45 passenger Mack modeled as a C-45-GT and one of fifteen likenesses numbered 400 to 414, apparently careened over a 1947 Cadillac (model too difficult to discern even for this writer) before almost landing in the sun porch of the pictured house.

As absolutely astounding as it might seem, the lady driving the car suffered only fractures of the skull and one leg and the bus driver a bang on the head and some internal injuries (the bang probably from bouncing over the car).

Equally amazing is the fact that # 409 survived and it, along with most of its siblings were Dieselized in 1957 and renumbered to the 500's.

The 400 series Macks were the company's first post war order and a departure from their long prewar relationship with Twin Coach.

Photo courtesy of 'Historic Images' and is available at eBay as item # 371015171311.
Thanks also to Jeff Marinoff for the heads up on this one as well.

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure don't make them like they used to .
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
1947 Cadillac (model too difficult to discern even for this writer)

Whatever it was before, it's a convertible now!

Why doe it not surprise me that the bus was eventually put back into service? The fact that Macks were built to be tough as bulldogs certainly holds true in this scenario.

I agree with Hart Bus. Underbelly details back then were simple and strong. With today's "computer designed" buses, the underbelly have too many delicate technological components that would render it either almost non-repairable or very expensive to repair.

Great photo Mr. L and it's nice to know that all ended well.

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
1947 Cadillac (model too difficult to discern even for this writer)

Whatever it was before, it's a convertible now!

Why doe it not surprise me that the bus was eventually put back into service? The fact that Macks were built to be tough as bulldogs certainly holds true in this scenario.

I agree with Hart Bus. Underbelly details back then were simple and strong. With today's "computer designed" buses, the underbelly have too many delicate technological components that would render it either almost non-repairable or very expensive to repair.

Great photo Mr. L and it's nice to know that all ended well.

Frankie

frankie,

Thanks.

I think #409 had no trouble surviving because of the heavy truck chassis that it was built on - a liability in some respects and certainly an asset in others!

I wonder how GM's 'monocoque' (chassisless) construction would have handled the same attack on its underpinnings?

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 127, 128, 129 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 128 of 151

Jump to: