BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'VINTAGE NEW YORK CITY'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 149, 150, 151  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more than once featured the focus bus in my essays and probably because I drove it many more times than I have fingers and toes!

Seen in 1949 freshly painted with the company's newly adopted angel wings and bib design in apple green and cream is fleet # 942 - a 1947 44 passenger GM Coach Model TDH 4507 and one of twenty-five likenesses numbered 926 to 950 operating for Green Bus Lines, Inc., of Jamaica, New York.

These 900's were very special buses in that they were diverted in pipeline from an order of one hundred bound for Surface Transportation System of New York (STS) and featured treadle step rear doors, golden glow headlamps (a throwback to the twenties!), a flood light mounted on the side of the ThermoMatic cabinet focused on the fare box, outward opening front doors and an unusual milk glass 'BACKING' light and buzzer built into the left engine hatch (as seen on STS #1310 in lower frame).

#942 is captured at Queens Boulevard and 47th. Street in Sunnyside as it make its way toward South Jamaica from 2nd. Avenue in Manhattan on the Q60 line - the longest and most profitable among the company's routes.

The 4507's were good solid runners (albeit a bit sluggish on acceleration) with many lasting well into the sixties in their second lives with commonly owned Jamaica Buses.

Upper photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item #171141899680.
Lower photo thanks to British Path News Agency.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having lived 4 blocks away on 43rd and QB from 1950 until 1973, I never knew that there was a Bohack's on the north-side of QB. I clearly remember them being on the s/s of Greenpoint Avenue giving away King Korn Stamps. They must have moved in the early 1950's because I always remembered a catering hall in that location.
andy47

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots. Thanks for sharing.

The photo of Surface Transportation #1310 is from a newsreel made in 1947 about its wayward driver, William Cimillo, who decided that New York traffic was too stressful. Instead of his usual Bronx route he drove over the George Washington Bridge and did not stop till he got to Hollywood, Florida. It is a famous story, often retold.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47,

You are correct;

STS #1310 is shown just arriving at the Manhattan House of Detention with a handcuffed wayward driver accompanied by a Surface chauffeur behind the wheel and two New York City detectives that were flown down to make the arrest and retrieve the bus.

Frankly, I can't understand how he made it as far as he did - while there were no advanced electronics as we know them today, there certainly were teletype machines to spread all point bulletins.

Here's another shot of #1310 in route back to New York somewhere in either Wilmington, North Carolina or Delaware.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen on a warm day in the summer of 1960 as it approaches its sidewalk terminal along Parsons Boulevard in Jamaica is fleet 651 - a 1958 51 passenger GM Coach Model TDH 5106 and one of seventeen likenesses numbered between 601 to 612 and 651 to 655 delivered in increments between 1953 and 1958 to Jamaica Buses, Inc. of Baisley Park, New York.

# 651 has just completed its run on the 'B' line from Beach 19th. Street and Seagirt Boulevard in Far Rockaway to Jamaica via Rockaway Turnpike and New York Boulevard.

Of note on #651 is the newly adopted more streamlined livery and the second set of decorative stainless steel wings under the windshield that appeared on all of the company's 5106's.

In a twist of fate, thirteen of these buses were transferred to commonly owned Green Bus Lines in the late 70's - the twist being that for many years it was Green Line that supplied Jamaica with its surplus equipment (a sad ending for these beauties is seen in the lower frame as two of the fleet await a trip to the crusher).

Also of notice is the rain trough over #651's rear door that seems to be bent out of shape (a very rare occurrence on a GM) and the sidewalk Bus Stop sign anchored to an old wheel which was usually filled with concrete to thwart theft.

I remember these coaches as they wheeled down Rockaway Turnpike at speed and they were the 'cats meow'!

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item # 171141898920.
A copy of the lower frame owned by this writer.

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:32 am; edited 1 time in total
bill937ca

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

651 almost looks like a TTC 1550 series.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting at the Company's Corona Yards in 1948 and contemplating its final fate after being retired by the City of New York is fleet #634 - a 1932 36 passenger White Motor Company Model 54A and one of twenty one likenesses numbered 616 to 635 originally purchased in increments between 1931 and 1932 by the defunct North Shore Bus Company of Flushing, New York.

Introduced as a parlor car in 1928, the White 54A, powered by a new single block overhead valve gasoline engine with a 519 cubic inch displacement pushing 100 h.p. and featuring all wheel air brakes, gave both Yellow's and Mack's of the same ilk a run for their money with 700 built between 1929 and 1938.

These coaches had been purchased for express operations between Manhattan and both Jackson Heights and Jones Beach - services that were less then successful and led to the early sale of most of the fleet to other operators.

However, in 1935 the astute North Shore shops converted the Bender bodied #634 for transit operation by cutting away the decorative observation platform at the rear, lowering the roof and adding a bi-fold rear door as well as converting the original sedan door in the same manner (the rear conversion is evidenced by the loss of well over half of the enlarged eighth passenger window).

Also on the crusher's list seen in the background of the shot is fleet # 570 - a 1930 Yellow Coach Model Z-BM-617.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and has been sold on eBay.

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill937ca wrote:

bill937ca,

You are right and wrong at the same time!

While Jamaica's #651 pictured above and TTC's 1500's (1540 to 1559) looked alike they differed in width.

Jamaica's was a 96 inch wide model TDH 5106 whereas TTC's were 102 inch wide TDH 5105's.

There are certain tell-tale signatures that easily identify the differences.

The 5106 under windshield floor vents were only four inches apart whereas the 5105 was an additional six inches (see photos #'d 1 and 2 respectively for models).

The 5106 had a narrow divider between the two rear windows whereas the 5105 added six inches to that (see photos #'d 3 and 4 respectively for models).

For the record; the paired window transits 4509's, 4512's, 5101's 5102 (only one built), 5104's and 5106's were 96 inches and the 4510's, 4511's, 5103's and 5105's were 102 inches.

Hope this helps (and that's my lesson for today!).

All photos borrowed for educational purposes only.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

Photo # 1

Photo # 2

Photo # 3

Photo # 4
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen on a warm sunny day in 1983 at Rockaway Beach Boulevard and Beach 105th. Street in the Rockaways is fleet number 747 - a 1974 53 passenger GM Coach Model T6H-5307A and one of twenty siblings numbered 741 to 760 delivered to Triboro Coach Corporation of Jackson Heights, New York in that year.

#747 is captured by the lens as it travels the Q53 Express line from Woodside to Beach 116th. Street in Rockaway Park via Jackson Heights, Elmhurst, Rego Park and Broad Channel.

You might say that the Q53 rose from the ashes (like a Phoenix) after a fire in May of 1950 consumed much of the Long Island Rail Road's Jamaica bay trestle to the Rockaways leaving many beach bound passengers from northern Queens in the lurch.

In June of 1956, and upon the refusal of the rail road to rebuild the trackage, the City of New York took on the restoration project and, at the same time, granted Triboro a temporary limited stop permit which then became a permanent franchise in 1961.

It must have been a summer weekend because not far behind #747 is a cousin with another load of sun worshipers.

Photo courtesy of 'Vintage-Vault75' and is available on eBay as item #171147870542.

Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second bus could be one that was loaned to GBL and on the Q22. I'm guessing that based on what looks like a paper sign in the right side window. GBL didn't repaint Triboro's loaners They put GBL as operator and Triboro as owner and sent them out.
bill937ca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
bill937ca wrote:

bill937ca,

I was referring to the paint scheme. I know the differences between various old look buses. I am old enough to ride them when they were new.

Bill
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill937ca wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
bill937ca wrote:

bill937ca,

I was referring to the paint scheme. I know the differences between various old look buses. I am old enough to ride them when they were new.

Bill

Sorry about that.

Mr. 'L'
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo # 1

Photo # 2

Here's an interesting observation that I noticed on these two buses. Note the number of rivets in the center of the bumper. The top bus has 4 whereas the TCC has 8. My first conclusion was that the wider bus has 8 to support the extra weight of the longer bumper, but then I notice from a difference source of another 96 incher also having 8 rivets. I couldn't make any rhyme or reason for the differences until I did a little research between the Internet and my library of books. I think I have a definite answer, but as usual, it's open for debate.

My conclusion is that all wide GM old looks have 8 rivets (with one exception) whereas only the TDH-4509's built between 1949 and 1953 have 4 rivets. Bus 332 above is Green Bus Lines' 1950 TDH-4509, so that falls within the category.

From 1953 (inclusive) on, all 4509's & 12's have 8 rivets. All other old look models regardless of width, length or year also have 8 rivets.

The exceptions: NYCTA's TDH-5101 (narrow) & 4510 (the only wide model exception) all have 4 rivets. The TDH-4511 does not. The Chicago TDH-5502 has a different style bumper, so we don't count that. Just those buses with the standard factory wide bumpers.

So this is my conclusion. And as I said at the top, just an observation!

Frankie
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie,

I would have to say that just as weaknesses were found in New York's 4510 roofs which precipitated a mid course improvement at the factory on later 4509's and carried over to 4511's and 4512's, so must the discovery of front bumper problems in 4509 production.

Don't forget that the last phase 4509's built in 1953 were actually 4512's sans air suspension and included the new GM badge under the windshield and the remodeled engine fresh air intake cowls over the rear quarter windows which made it virtually impossible to differentiate between them.

Mid course production changes were not then nor are the now uncommon on production lines and certainly were prevalent on GM's New Look model which saw no less than four major upgrades over its lifetime.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you'll get some idea of why we used to call Fifth Avenue the 'banana line' because the buses always ran in bunches!

Seen along Fifth Avenue on the freezing cold afternoon of January 13th, 1966 are throngs of passengers awaiting their first rides after the end of a thirteen day strike over wages and benefits called by the Transport Workers Union (TWU) and the Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) which was orchestrated by none other than the infamous Michael J. Quill (I can still hear his high pitched voice delivered with an Irish brogue so thick that you could cut with a knife!).

The buses, heading downtown to their terminus at Washington Square on the 5, 3 and 4 lines respectively, were all ex Fifth Avenue Coach GM TDH 5106's (easily spotted by their special destination sign cabinets built to accommodate fluorescent lighting) were operating for the then fledgling Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority.

The strike effectively ended all service on the subways and buses in the city, affecting millions of commuters. It was an ominous beginning for the mayoralty of John V. Lindsay, but is perhaps better remembered for the jailing of Quill and for his death only weeks afterwards.

UPI photo courtesy of 'Afox11' and may be found as a 'Buy Now' listed on eBay as item # 400590412328.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 149, 150, 151  Next
Page 118 of 151

Jump to: