BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Groceries by Green Line'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: 'Groceries by Green Line' Reply with quote

Groceries by Green Line

So you thought Green Bus Lines only delivered people – wrong! How about your morning paper, a bottle of milk and even a dozen eggs?

That’s just what the affluent citizens of Mott Avenue (millionaire’s row) just outside ‘downtown’ Far Rockaway came to expect from their local bus driver a generation ago.

The Q22A (Bayswater route), the shortest of all the Green Line franchises, ran from the heart of the village at Cornaga Avenue westward down to the bay along Mott for about a mile or so.

This was a ‘one bus’ line driven by the same chauffeur from its inception with its main passenger base being household help.

I never new the driver nor did I ever ride the route but the stories of his escapades made him a legend among his colleagues.

Always given the oldest and most dilapidated bus in the fleet, this entrepreneur would fill the back seats with loads of groceries before making his first run in the morning.

His customers would be waiting at their curbs at appointed times to pick up the orders.

I’m certain that the company was well aware of this little ‘side line’ but overlooked it because I’m also certain that it was the ‘political pull’ of the local citizenry that created the Q22A in the first place!

Pictured below is Q22A 'Bayswater' bus # 441 - a 1933 Mack model 6-BC-3S in Far Rockaway about 1946.
Note that because this bus was manufactured before the acquisition of the Q22A route a 'Bayswater' sign appears in the windshield instead of within the destination scroll.

Picture courtesy of More Old Rockaway Photos

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: