BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bieber Acquisition of Capitol Trailways Gone Through

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Bieber Acquisition of Capitol Trailways Gone Through Reply with quote

According to the current on line issue of Bus Ride magazine, the transaction involving Bieber Tourways purchasing Capitol Trailways and Rohr Bus Service has gone through. Among the major changes is that the route segment between Binghamton and Syracuse is operated by New York Trailways instead of Capitol. As soon as I have more details on this I will pass them along. At least Capitol will avoid the fate of Empire Trailways of Rochester, which went out of business at the end of 1994. I am sure Max Cowan and Dick Maguire are spinning in their respective graves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting that Bieber seems to be keeping the former Capitol operation separate from its other operation. For example, the Bieber Harrisburg as its now called, still shares gate 2 at the Port with Susquehanna Trailways, while Bieber Tourways remains at gates 19 and 21.
Bieber Harrisburg still seems to be in the revenue pool with Greyhound, as they are included in GL's System Timetable. Indeed, GL's "Trips" computer "throws Bieber a bone", probably to keep them in the pool.
What I mean by that is that if a passenger books a ticket from New York City to say St. Lous in the morning, the passenger can take either the GL thru bus departing at 8:00 AM, or the 8:00 AM Express to Pittsburgh, where the passenger can have a leisurely layover, and then wait for the thru bus to catch up. Or, they can leave New York later, at 9:30 AM on Greyhounds New York-Allentown-Harrisburg- Altoona- Pittsburgh schedule and arrive at Harrisburg the same time as the 8:00 AM thru bus (1:55 PM), and transfer to it there for the 2:30 PM departure West.
Instead, 'Trips' will sell the 9:30 AM Bieber Harrisburg schedule that operates 'X67H', and arrives Harrisburg at 2:15 PM for the 2:30 PM connection West.
I cannot understand why 'Trips' was programmed to do that, other than what I had speculated.
Further, in the Port, Greyhound and Trailways sell Bieber Harrisburg tickets, but Academy still sells Bieber Tourways tickets....
It's no wonder passengers are confused...As am I Confused
JimmiB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short update on the confusing of passengers by Bieber. The former Capital Trailways Reading to Harrisburg line run uses all types of buses on the run. Mostly Capital "paint outs" with no company name and often without destination signs. Sometimes regular Bieber paint, and on occasion, a mini-bus. They closed the ticket office in Lebanon, and replaced it with a bus shelter. They usually stop there, but sometimes the driver stops at Lebanon Transit's transfer station several blocks away. I'm a cab dispatcher and when someone calls for a cab at Trailways I have to ask where they were dropped off. I expected better from Bieber.
Now I see that Lebanon Transit (formerly COLT) has begun a Lebanon to Harrisburg run. Under PA P.U.C. regs, this would not be allowed without the agreement of Bieber. Makes me think that Bieber is getting ready to dump a low ridership run on the government.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
A short update on the confusing of passengers by Bieber. The former Capital Trailways Reading to Harrisburg line run uses all types of buses on the run. Mostly Capital "paint outs" with no company name and often without destination signs. Sometimes regular Bieber paint, and on occasion, a mini-bus. They closed the ticket office in Lebanon, and replaced it with a bus shelter. They usually stop there, but sometimes the driver stops at Lebanon Transit's transfer station several blocks away. I'm a cab dispatcher and when someone calls for a cab at Trailways I have to ask where they were dropped off. I expected better from Bieber.
Now I see that Lebanon Transit (formerly COLT) has begun a Lebanon to Harrisburg run. Under PA P.U.C. regs, this would not be allowed without the agreement of Bieber. Makes me think that Bieber is getting ready to dump a low ridership run on the government.

I could not fault any company from getting rid of a money-loser. On the other hand...doesn't the PA DOT subsidize certain runs in this situation?
It would seem cheaper to do that than have a government owned line, often with higher expenses than private operators....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: