BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'Those Wonderful New Flyer Windshields' (was Orion!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: 'Those Wonderful New Flyer Windshields' (was Orion!) Reply with quote

Looks like those 'New Flyer' windshields can take a licking and keep on ticking!

According to a photo in today's (7/19) edition of the New York Times an M103 and an M121 were almost at the epicenter of yesterday's massive steam pipe explosion at Lexington near East 41st. in Manhattan.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/19/nyregion/19explode.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&oref=slogin

Both buses were showered in debris and will probably need good wash jobs and simonizing but the windshields, which must have taken quite a jolt, seem to be unscathed!

It's a good feeling to know that while quality in general has diminished over the years, at least auto glass has become even better and stronger!

A bit of history; the steam pipe that exploded was originally installed in 1924 by the then New York Steam Company (now part of Con Edison), and is young compared to most of the system which had its beginnings back before 1900 (for you historians, there are still many manhole covers throughout Manhattan marked as 'New York Steam').

I'm afraid as time goes by we can expect more of these outbursts because it would be impossible to replace or repair the entire system in our lifetime!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

Unfortunately, the two New Flyers are behind the smoke in the picture below. However, if you run the video of the picture at the above link you will see overhead shots of both Artics.
Photo from New York Times

Thanks to TransitGuy for noting correct manufacturer.

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. L, those artics are actually New Flyers not Orions. I hear one of them are already back in service.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitGuy wrote:
Hey Mr. L, those artics are actually New Flyers not Orions. I hear one of them are already back in service.

Sorry about that but today's buses all look alike to me! (give me a CM Mack or a 4506 anytime!).

Will make all corrections, and I thank you for your help.

Have attached actual NYT photo below.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc. Jamaica, New York

[IMG]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: