BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nova low floors
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aindellica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: nova low floors Reply with quote

As many of you already know,we have had the new nova LF in service at ulmer park for about a month now.There have been mixed reveiws from the operators so far,but mostly negative. Asof this post,we have 21 buses in service ( 8030,8031,8033,8034,8035,8036,8037,8038,8039,8040,8041,8042,8046,8049,8050,8051,8052,8053,8054,8055 & 8047 which is currently in QV for some reason ) 8033 is with the vendor right now having her windsheild replaced and 8046 is on our defect line with a shattered door glass window. These large glass windows are going to be a problem in nyc with its high rate of vandalism. also problematic is the difficulty of loading and unloading on high volume routes,especially with wheelchairs. Many operators are already refusing them on pullout,preffering the older rts. On the positive side,I've driven them around some and I think they handle real good,But hey,I don't have to drive them in passenger service. One thing I can tell you,they'll never make thru the snow. That's it for now. I'm willing to entertain any questions you might have about this bus. Andy/@ulmer
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy and welcome to BusTalk!!!
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen on other bus sites that the rear seating is very tight on the Nova LFS's, so much so that passengers will be squeezed tightly; is this true?
aindellica

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are seats in the back that face each other with very little leg room. I ride the bus to work and if I tell you, 25 people on the bus and it feels crowded.Also,the ride itself is bumpy due to the bus being so low. I sat in the back one time and actually hit my head on the ceiling when I got up! @
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame for a new bus!
B53RICH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one bus from UP that is at QV is there for training. QV is getting the next order.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on Staten Island yesterday, where I saw a number of Nova LFS's assigned to Castleton Depot. That large box on the rear roof edge makes them easy to spot.
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezle.

I think sometimes people just want to complain for the sake of complaining. New York City transit riders are late getting into the low floor game. The LFS is far and away better in the ride quality area than anything from Orion, NFI or Gillig. The one we tested for a year was fantastic from a customer standpoint and from a driver standpoint after years of miserable Flxible Metros and hard-riding (but reliable) Gillig low-floor coaches.

Unfortunately, thanks to Congress and transit system management who never actually rides the bus, we are stuck with these low-floor creatures with fewer seats, poorly-designed suspension and all sorts of unnecessary and dubious air quality control devices that do nothing for the environment but help to line the pockets of vendors who make the EPA-compliant gadgets that don't work and in turn pay off the EPA cretins who make the stuff required equipment.

timecruncher
aindellica

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, doesn't that box on the roof remind you of the ac unit on the old fishbowls? Rumors around the depot say ulmer pk is not getting anymore new buses this year,possibly because of shortages of buses throughout the system.I'll keep you posted on that one,as I'm in touch with maintianence nightly. I heard about a month ago that Fresh pond was supposed to be getting the New Flyer Excelsior. Anybody know if they are out there in service yet? I'm also curious how they are numbered.
@
timecruncher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "box on the roof" is where the radiator is located. What an inspired idea: Put the radiator on the roof away from street and engine compartment heat! It only took 75-80 years of rear-engine buses for someone to figure out this no-brainer!

Meanwhile, the rest of the bus builders continue to place the radiator (and a/c condenser coils on some of them) next to the hot engine compartment and just a few inches above blistering street surfaces.

The result is constant problems with buses overheating on those lovely El Nino late Spring days...

timecruncher
Schedulers know all and see all.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen elsewhere that QV also will get some Nova LFS's.
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been riding and photographing the buses over the last few weeks and I am very impressed by them despite the smaller capacity. yesterday I rode in the first row of rear seats and saw how much extra legroom was there compared to the other low floors we have. The plan from what i heard is to move those seats foward a little to allow more room for the seats that face each other. Not sure if you heard the story but I also had the cops called on me for shooting a picture of 8031 outside the depot when it first arrived.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Novas seem to have some interesting features, but from what I have read on this and other message oards, B/O's are not particularly thrilled with them, especially with regard to reduced standee capacity.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your run in with the police. I suppose that in the post 9/11 world transit facilities are considered sensitive areas, and higher vigilance would be paid accordingly in such areas.
aindellica

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To nycbusfan, sorry that some of our staff at ulmer park don't understand what we do. They look at me funny too when I take pictures and I work there! O well,it's a free country ( at least for now ). Next time tell them Andy sent you. A good spot for taking pictures is Av U & East 71 Street where the B3 lays over,nobody will bother you there. @
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: