BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1947 GMC PDA-3703 clutch help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Picasso

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: 1947 GMC PDA-3703 clutch help? Reply with quote

Not sure if Im going to restore or trash this bus. But want to get it moving again. I guess restore is not the correct word since this was turned into an RV some time ago so its not being restored back to a transit config. But I'm looking for some pointers for some parts to get the thing on the road and running again. It still has the stock Detroit Diesel 4-71 that seems to run just fine even with 5 year old diesel in the tanks. I think the trans is stock 4speed with a add on over drive of some kind.

I need to find some round headlights for the correct look. I think the bumper is from a greyhound bus?

The stock clutch linkage and maybe the transmission have been changed. The clutch now has Air/Hydraulic with an Air pedal that activates a clutch master that connects to a long line to a clutch salve cylinder. Well the clutch slave cylinder is toast so I could not fully depress the clutch. All I can read on the slave is "EIS 16A Made In USA" and from a little research EIS is no longer. I could not find any cross reference for them. Does anyone know of any after market clutch pedal/slave setup I could replace it with? The Air seems kind of useless for the clutch?

JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell from photos, it looks like the headlight housings are the same as used on GM old looks of the same vintage. The outboard housings are the headlights and the inner ones were fog lights.
The bumper appears to be the stock bumper for that year.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Picasso,

Welcome to BusTalk where we do our best to help our fellow enthusiasts and, of course, where we also look forward to your input and contributions.

The headlights shouldn't be too difficult to come by but the chromium bezels may be another story!

Scroll to the lower part of the URL that I have provided below where you may be able to obtain the information and parts that you need for the transmission but it sounds as though you might be better off rebuilding to a standard mechanical transmission which you will more likely to find parts for.

Pictured is a reasonable facsimile of what a PDA 3703 originally looked like.

http://www.coachinfo.com/Manuals/Coach/GMC/3703.html

Enjoy,

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Picasso

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of the manual and parts book but the clutch setup was changed some time ago. I could not read the full ETS part number from the slave that was installed. I think I found a part near it that will work. Napa : NCF 73463 going to give it a try in the morning.

I need to also get the emergency stop going for the air flap that covers the blower. Pressing the big stop button does not work. I have to lift up on the pedal to close the fuel. From my reading with the Detroit Diesel you need to always make sure the Emergency stop works.

If anyone has a way to look up any serial info my bus is PDA3703612 found it stamped on the frame today and it's also what is listed as the VIN on the title so glad it wasn't stolen at some time!

Last edited by Picasso on Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good truck parts should be able to match the clutch slave. Remember a very important thing- most parts go both truck and bus. So a bit of measuring and cross referenceing, you have a bus part from a truck part box.
Picasso

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not found a good auto parts store in YEARS. None of them have any ETS parts books, so I was unable to find any cross reference. All of the store around me just ask what it came from and if its not in the book your out of luck.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picasso wrote:
I have not found a good auto parts store in YEARS. None of them have any ETS parts books, so I was unable to find any cross reference. All of the store around me just ask what it came from and if its not in the book your out of luck.

Not auto parts, truck parts. Mack, Volvo, Freightliner, Peterbuilt, etc. Go to a place like this and explain your issue. If they can't help you, then maybe they can point you in the right direction. There are parts places that cater to the trucking industry. Better yet, what about a place that rebuilds hydraulics, they might be able to rebuild you part. Or another option, look up Mid West Bus Rebuilders on the internet. They supply replacement parts to the bus industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: