BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions: If NYCT Implements BRT...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Questions: If NYCT Implements BRT... Reply with quote

Questions: If NYCT finally implements one or more of its proposed BRT projects, do you suppose that they will purchase new "BRT-style" equipment specifically for this service. or do you believe that they will use existing equipment? Is BRT service inherently better suited for artics or single unit buses? It seems as if the BRT corridors being proposed in NYC do not make use of dedicated rights of way for buses (I think OC Transpo in Ottawa ON has at least one dedicated bus ROW, and PAT in Pittsburgh PA also may have at least one similar arrangement); will NYCT implement the use of traffic signal priority equipment (similar to that used in some other cities for in-street LRV operations)?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Planning Study, the five demonstration corridors "will initially utilize the existing NYCT bus fleet, including 40-foot long hybrid-fueled buses. NYCT is moving forward on purchasing low-floored articulated buses, which would operate well in some BRT corridors." The buses assigned to BRT routes will likely be in a different paint scheme to help "brand" the service. I would expect signal prioritization would be included in the project.
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, ripta42!
In my mind's eye, I'm trying to picture a 60' NABI in white, blue, and an MTA "meatball" Smile
Question: in which borough do you think BRT in NYC will prove to be most sucessful? least successful?
Question: has Chicago planned for any BRT installations in the near future?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Question: in which borough do you think BRT in NYC will prove to be most sucessful? least successful?

I think the First/Second Avenues and Nostrand Avenue corridors will be disasters. The dedicated bus lane will be blocked by illegally parked vehicles, police cars, cabs, and turning traffic, just like existing dedicated bus lanes, and signal prioritization will create havoc with traffic flow on cross streets.

I think the Hylan Boulevard corridor could work, since overall traffic flow is better, there isn't as much curbside parking demand, and there aren't nearly as many heavily-trafficked cross streets as the Manhattan and Brooklyn corridors. I'm not familiar enough with the Fordham Road/Pelham Parkway corridor to offer an opinion.

Quote:
Question: has Chicago planned for any BRT installations in the near future?

BRT is being discussed as a possible alternative or initial phase to the Metra STAR Line in the western suburbs. I'm not aware of any BRT initiatives in the City of Chicago.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our wonderful city, all curbside bus lanes are victims of window placards, that is, various personnel of city agencies parking or stopping illegally because they have a "official" placard to ward off the tow truck. The city has to get nasty to its own employees that flout the rules.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: