BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Xcelsior XD35 and XDE35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Xcelsior XD35 and XDE35 Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of the 35' Xcelsiors. There are a couple of visual differences between the diesel and hybrid model, including the roof skirting and labeling.

DSC00775

The XD35 diesel:
DSC00779

DSC00774

DSC00781

DSC00794

The XDE35 hybrid:
DSC00772

DSC00773

DSC00783

DSC00785

Enjoy

Bill
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, Bill. Any initial impressions of these buses you can share with us?

Jim
thehartfordboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait is there a 25 Express? I know there's Hitchcock Lake but is that an express route.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Great photos, Bill. Any initial impressions of these buses you can share with us?

Jim

The initial impression when I first stepped into an Xcelsior was one of familiarity. Even though it is a new model, it looks like a New Flyer. Hopefully this will ease the transition for the operators. The layout of the driver's area is almost the same as our D40LF's, which makes it easy to just hop in the seat and drive. The driver's window is designed with an emergency exit, which is a nice feature, but the placement of the release handle makes it easy to mistakenly grab it when you go to slide the window open normally.

One initial concern that I heard from several drivers was the reduction in seating capacity compared to our RTS fleet. The 35' Xcelsior seats 30, and with a passenger in a wheelchair on board, at least 4 seats are lost. This may cause crowding on busy runs, forcing more passengers to stand. On a positive note, the LED lighting makes for a brighter interior. The floor of the rear section is higher than on the D40LF, due to this bus having a single reduction rear axle. I am curious to see how the location of the HVAC unit affects how the interior temperature is regulated. Traditionally, the AC has always been at the rear of the bus, and the distance that the cool air has to travel to the front of the vehicle, combined with large windshield glass allowing heat and sunlight in, has meant an uneven distribution of cooling in the summer. The roof mounted unit on the Xcelsior is in the front section of the bus, which hopefully will give a more balanced temperature throughout the vehicle. I also like the layout of the equipment cabinet over the left front wheelwell, which houses the video recorder, and in the future radio equipment. Its' design allows for easier access for maintenance of the components housed in it. The multiplex electrical system appears to be easy to maintain and troubleshoot, and although it is from a different manufacturer than the system on the D40LF, I don't expect any problems with it.

I have some concerns with the front of the bus. The windshields and destination sign glass are designed so that if one is removed, the others have to be supported to stay in position, requiring special tools. Also, the entrance door front half has a curved, flexible shaft. Since the front of buses tend to get hit, this may cause some problems, and more maintenance time to get the door back in proper adjustment. The wheelchair ramp is also a new design, and is more complicated than the D40LF ramp. We have already been told that for some repairs, the entire ramp assembly will have to be removed from the bus.

The underside of the bus seems well designed, with access to suspension components being easier than on the D40LF. The disc brake system appears to be a simple design and relatively easy to maintain. One question that is uncertain is the ability to use tire chains on the rear wheels. New Flyer engineering designed modifications to the rear wheelwells to add clearance, but it is unknown how this will work out. We are in the process of obtaining an aggressive snow tire for the buses, and this combined with automatic traction control and ABS brakes may be sufficient for winter operation.

I have only driven the buses in our lot so far. The Cummins ISL on the straight diesel seems to have good acceleration from being stopped. The hybrid, equipped with the smaller ISB engine, is different. When you put the straight diesel bus in gear and take your foot off the brake, it moves forward. The hybrid on the other hand, just sits there. But when you press the accelerator, the bus takes off like a rocket. This will take some getting used to, especially for drivers who go back and forth between the two types. I hope to have an opportunity to take them on the road this coming week, and see how the regenerative braking on the hybrid operates compared to the transmission retarder on the straight diesel.

All in all, the Xcelsior seems like a decent bus, and hopefully they will be relatively trouble free as they go into operation.

Bill
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehartfordboy wrote:
Wait is there a 25 Express? I know there's Hitchcock Lake but is that an express route.

I came across this destination while reviewing the listings in the TwinVision program for the buses. It is grouped in with the Hartford commuter express routes, and was probably put there for a possible future express run. Hitchcock Lake (Waterbury route 25) is strictly a local route. You make a good point bringing this up, as having an express route with the same number as one of our local routes would definitely be confusing for the passengers. As delivered, the Xcelsiors only have Hartford and New Britain destinations programmed in. This should be updated in the next couple of weeks.

Bill
thehartfordboy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill D wrote:
thehartfordboy wrote:

I came across this destination while reviewing the listings in the TwinVision program for the buses. It is grouped in with the Hartford commuter express routes, and was probably put there for a possible future express run. Hitchcock Lake (Waterbury route 25) is strictly a local route. You make a good point bringing this up, as having an express route with the same number as one of our local routes would definitely be confusing for the passengers. As delivered, the Xcelsiors only have Hartford and New Britain destinations programmed in. This should be updated in the next couple of weeks.

Bill

LMAO. wow. You would think that though Hartford finally fixed their TwinVision problems, they would program routes for every other division. Oh Boy. Are the side destination signs one lined? Or it can be adjusted for two lines like with all CT Transit signs, except the RTSes? Also, is this the new standard for the top part of the CT Transit scheme with the inverse colors? I thought it was for only for the hybrid, but I was wrong. Lovely pics Bill. Keep us updated. (PS 29 is a number not being used for routes.)
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, do the hybrids have the GM-Allison parallel hybrid system? This is the system New Flyer has been using for years, but I also know that they are also now offering the BAE series hybrid system.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
Bill, do the hybrids have the GM-Allison parallel hybrid system? This is the system New Flyer has been using for years, but I also know that they are also now offering the BAE series hybrid system.

They do have the Allison Ev40 drive system. The drive unit looks like a typical Allison transmission, and interestingly, is also used to start the diesel engine - there is no conventional starter on the hybrids.

Bill
nycbusfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have rode the Xcelsior that the MTA is testing out and have been very impressed with the bus. Now I would love to ride a diesel one and see how they compare.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: