BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Artic Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Artic Question Reply with quote

NYCT's artics probably could also be called MABSTOA artics, since they only have operated in the Manhattan and Bronx Divisions (I suppose that, strictly speaking, the artics based at 126 St. are exceptions to the MABSTOA designation, since it is a TA depot, but you get my drift...)

Question: Do you envision these buses being reassigned anywhere outside their current "stomping rounds"? (Note: A one-way trip to NIMCO does not qualify.)
Mr RT

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a bunch that do the 14th Street route ... have taken them to reach the Forbiden Planet Smile
DHF60

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Artic Question Reply with quote

Question: Do you envision these buses being reassigned anywhere outside their current "stomping rounds"? (Note: A one-way trip to NIMCO does not qualify.)

Based on the condition of the early series (10XX) artics assigned to 126th Street Depot, I'd say the buses would be hard pressed to even reach NIMCO. Despite being repainted and patched up by 126 maintenance, these buses are shot with a capitol S. They all have close to, or in some cases, over 200,000 miles on them. 200,000 NYC miles are basically the equivilent of 400,000 regular miles. Unless NYCT is planning to give the artics a major overhaul then I'd say these buses will be phased out once they reach 12 years of age.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Artic Question Reply with quote

DHF60 wrote:
They all have close to, or in some cases, over 200,000 miles on them. 200,000 NYC miles are basically the equivilent of 400,000 regular miles. Unless NYCT is planning to give the artics a major overhaul then I'd say these buses will be phased out once they reach 12 years of age.

Some GBL GMC RTS's had over 700,000 miles when MTA Bus took over, so some work should bring them around from there demise.
As far as life after NYCT-- YES. I cannot say more than this.
DHF60

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Artic Question Reply with quote

Some GBL GMC RTS's had over 700,000 miles when MTA Bus took over, so some work should bring them around from there demise.

Good point but the D60HF is not as rugged as the RTS and and would probably require a more extensive overhaul to keep it in service past it's 12 year design life.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Artic Question Reply with quote

DHF60 wrote:

Based on the condition of the early series (10XX) artics assigned to 126th Street Depot, I'd say the buses would be hard pressed to even reach NIMCO. Despite being repainted and patched up by 126 maintenance, these buses are shot with a capitol S. They all have close to, or in some cases, over 200,000 miles on them. 200,000 NYC miles are basically the equivilent of 400,000 regular miles. Unless NYCT is planning to give the artics a major overhaul then I'd say these buses will be phased out once they reach 12 years of age.

It depends. As you may already know, we currently don't have an artic manufacturer -- New Flyer won't build high-floor buses, Neoplan USA is out of business, Orion and Gillig don't produce artics, and we won't do business with Van Hool. NABI is the only major manufacturer that's left (and though I highly doubt it, it would be excellent to see the MTA ordering 60-BRTs.)

If we still have these problems when it comes time to retire the oldest of the D60HFs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them pressed into a few more years of service until we can find a manufacturer who's willing to replace them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: