BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glendale Locals Boo Bus Reroute; Plan Proceeds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Glendale Locals Boo Bus Reroute; Plan Proceeds Reply with quote

Article from the Queens Chronicle dated 6/7/07:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18450489&BRD=2731&PAG=461&dept_id=574901&rfi=6

Glendale Locals Boo Bus Reroute; Plan Proceeds

by Colin Gustafson, Assistant Editor
06/07/2007

Glendale residents say the last thing they need is another bus rumbling down their block and tying up traffic near their homes.
But that’s exactly what they are slated to get this June, under a planned reroute that will bring the Q54 down one of Cooper Avenue’s most congested stretches on its way to The Shops at Atlas Park.

In July, the Middle Village-bound bus will begin straying from its regular westerly route through St. John’s Cemetery by turning onto Cooper from Metropolitan Avenue. After making its new stop at the curb cut outside Atlas Park, the rerouted bus will then turn right onto 80th Street and return to its regular Metropolitan Avenue route.
That change is intended to bring hundreds more customers to the mall daily, according to Development Director Damon Hemmerdinger, who spent the past six years lobbying for the reroute. He has already invested $200,000 into building a new bus shelter and curb cut near the mall.
But this blessing for business is likely to become a curse for the community, residents say. The reroute, they add, will bring more unwelcome noise, pollution and congestion to an area already plagued by horrendous traffic snags that snake their way past homes for upwards of a mile.
On weekday mornings, gridlock at the intersection of Cooper Avenue and 80th Street spills over onto nearby roadways — hemming residents into their driveways and slowing the progress of private motorists and public buses, like the Q29, alike. In the evening, the glut of homeward-bound commuters, coupled with the on-street parking by mall patrons who are unwilling to pay mall lot fees, can cause even worse snarls. That renders Cooper Avenue “impassable,” said John Ciralo, a 23-year Glendale local.
“And to cap it all off, now (New York City Transit) wants to throw the Q54 into the mix,” he wrote in an e-mail. “That’s all we need: a bunch of those lovely new boxcar-sized buses adding to the volume at an already overburdened intersection. ... Does anybody ... have any clue what kind of traffic catastrophe this would cause?”
To boot, some residents believe the current route already offers easy access to the mall — at least, for anybody willing to walk the equivalent of about three city blocks from the regular Metropolitan Avenue stop. “We already have a perfectly good bus stop there,” said Glendale resident Katherine O’Kane. “It’s a nice, five-minute walk. What do we need a new stop for?”
Last month, several disgruntled residents began circulating a petition urging elected officials to reject the plan — or, at least, consider a modification that would allow the bus to circumvent Cooper Avenue.
But the wheels may already be too far in motion on the plan for community leaders to begin backpedaling. Community Board 5 threw its weight behind the reroute at a sparsely attended spring meeting held by the transportation committee. And New York City Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said the city is still on board.
In addition, Hemmerdinger contended that rerouting the Q54 would reduce Cooper Avenue traffic over the long term, by pushing more commuters to take public transportation. “People have a right to be upset, I understand, but I think more buses will eventually mean less congestion,” he said.
Yet Marcos Pagan, a Cooper Avenue resident, isn’t convinced. “The mall keeps growing and growing, and so does the traffic,” he said. “We already have a lot to deal with. Overburdening us like this is beyond reason.”
ser167

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen any gridlock in that area and the only houses in the area are on 80th after Cooper going towards Myrtle and on Cooper between Woodhaven and Metropolitan ,the area surrounding the mall is St.John's Cemetery and the buildings of the Atlas terminal that weren't convertor incorporated into the mall.Plus when I was at the mall it never seems too busy
Bill From Maspeth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feeling that the ones who are making the most noise are the residents who reside on Cooper between 88th St. and Metropolitan.
ICMC 1982 Flyer D901A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ser167 wrote:
I have never seen any gridlock in that area and the only houses in the area are on 80th after Cooper going towards Myrtle and on Cooper between Woodhaven and Metropolitan ,the area surrounding the mall is St.John's Cemetery and the buildings of the Atlas terminal that weren't convertor incorporated into the mall.Plus when I was at the mall it never seems too busy

Say WHAT?

I've been at Atlas Park on any given Wednesday thru Sunday afternoon to night, as well as my parents, and I tell ya, if you're angry as hell, it's the perfect place to scream your head off cuz the TRAFFIC IS TOO GODDAMN MUCH!

I swear, LIRR HAS TO put a new train station along the Lower Montauk Branch, complete with elevators and stairwells, along with an overpass for shoppers to get to Atlas Park. It's like right there....what's wrong with a Diesel train rumbling thru for the shopping crowd?

Here would be the plan:

Diesel Shuttle train from LIC to Jamaica via Lower Montauk branch stopping at the Atlas Park area and yes, reopen Richmond Hill.

2 consists running the route.....

Rush Hours headways may vary.

Middays every 1/2 hour or so

Evenings every 1/2 hour except most Fridays and weekend nights.

Weekends every 15-20 minutes

Late nights maybe a run or so every hour to 2....maybe not.

Form of Payment: $2 fare within city limits....coming from Long Island varies. If you're coming from anywhere in NYC, you can dip in your Metrocard onto the TVM, and it'll produce a ticket for Atlas Park ONLY.

That incentive should ease the crowds on the streets, even the buses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TCC Senior Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that this Bus reroute of the Q-54 is not going to work out. Back about 2 months ago, I was working the Q-29 and it was one of those days when we had a lot of rain in the morning. So much rain in fact that the Q-54's were using the route that is to go in affect later this month. Metropolitan Avenue was flooded out thus the reason for this temporary re-route of the Q-54's.

Let me tell you, traffic on 80th Street was backed up all the way from Metropolitan down to 78th Avenue which is over the overpass beyond Cooper Avenue. I had never seen traffic so bad in this area. Keep in mind that cars were still attempting to use Metropolitan Avenue as there was no barriors blocking the street at 80th and Metropolitan. The biggest problems were caused by the Q-54's waiting to make the left turn at 80th and Metro. I for one do not look forward to these changes.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the area. Is there a traffic signal at 80th and Cooper? If not would a signal help move traffic through the area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: