BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back again - NYCT Service Cuts
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JA wrote:
A hybrid transport network with subsidized and unsubsidized carriers are the only way we can afford broad coverage. Those that advocate for a fully public network can never ever find the resources to fund everything.

Especially when the public has been conditioned over the years to believe they have a right to cheap transit service.

The more I think about this issue, the more I’m convinced that public transportation in the United States is facing a ‘perfect storm’ that may have devastating consequences. Government entities at all levels are facing revenue shortfalls into the foreseeable future and transit advocates are going to be fighting just to maintain funding alongside other stakeholders, but their position in the scrum is very poor given that only a minority of voters outside of New York City actually use public transit services. High labor and benefits expenses for the workforce are locked in by now in the major cities, and it’s hard to see any significant privatization initiatives succeeding in these ‘blue state’ areas. And transit agency administrators have very little flexibility to realign their services given the labor realities, the political realities which make cutting even the worst performing routes an ordeal, and a steady stream of unfunded mandates from Washington and the state houses.

I also believe that the transit industry has been hurt by the aftermath of the 2007-08 gasoline price spike. As long as I can remember, advocates have promoted the growth of public transportation by invoking the specter of a future with high energy prices that would hit automobile drivers and result in an exodus of commuters to the buses and trains. Well, that day came and people grumbled but they kept on driving their cars – partly because they wanted to, partly because many of them needed to, but also because there were few if any transit options available as alternatives for most. At the end of the crisis, public transit was still something that other people used, not them. I fear this may have a corrosive effect on support for public transportation in the long run.

One other related point before I get down from my digital soapbox. I work in the freight logistics field and I see regular updates on the efforts of the American Trucking Association, the Association of American Railroads, the National Industrial Transportation League and other advocates to make sure that the overall freight industry gets a fair shake in Washington in particular. There has been a ongoing effort (a seriously misguided one, IMO) to restrict the number of hours that truck drivers can work in the U.S. in the name of safety and these groups are fighting to make sure that the advocacy groups pushing this don’t run roughshod on Capitol Hill and get unrealistic legislation passed that will have a devastating impact not only on the logistics industry but on the American economy as well. I was thinking about these efforts recently when considering how many mandates have affected transit operations over the years – particularly the ADA and paratransit and the EPA’s regulations mandating clean propulsion technologies. Transit needs bulldog advocates like the ATA and the NIT League. Maybe APTA is doing a lot of good work behind the scenes, but so many of their publicity efforts come across to me as cheerleading. They need to drop the pom-poms and start fighting for common-sense solutions - maybe they are afraid of angering their friends in Congress, but something needs to be done.

Rant over!

Jim D.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim D. -

Well, as you are preaching to this particular, receptive congregant, my outcry: Amen! Amen! Hallelujahs!

I am also "freight side" career. It does inbreed other perspectives. I have long held reservations about any public involvement in transit.
Used to be, the old Chicago CTA ran a good operation, noted for near parsiminous purchasing habits. SF Muni long operated well. A City,
voluntary obligation, dating to its "Peoples Railway" roots. There was occasional whining about deficits, from time to time, but it was their
problem. New York Subways, interestingly perceived by O. Roy Chalk (later owner of DCTS), as a business opportunity that would run
profitably. (He did float an offer.)

Somehow over the years, the instructive long forgotten maxims. The actual history being:

1) Caesar, and later Kings, built and bought the roads. At no time did they buy the vehicles that could use the Highways. Nor did they
ever think of buying tokens and tickets for any riders. In the Bad, Old Days, there was but so much mileage for paternalistic and
kind hearted rulers!...

2) Common Carrier Obligations. This is a fascinating, legal fine point. The definition and responsibilities of a common carrier understood,
embodied in prevailing Common Law, and predating the Magna Carta. What we have see in past few decades is the transit operators
now run as absolute liability common carriers, and at cut rates. Years back, few common carriers ever held out absolute liability services,
absent appropriate, and much higher prevailing rates and charges...

3) Inflation in US Dollar. One can, "...do the ostrich..." and ignore it. Alternatively, get some strong coffee. The three cents purchase of
1913 is now one dollar ($1.00)! Classic regulation simply does not work in this treacherous environment, absent constant pricing (rates
and charges) "made whole" adjustments (so as to maintain "constant dollar" parity). Effectively, inflation did in the "private sector"
operation of transit. In fact, it was Inflation that killed Roger Rabbit!...

..................Vern...............
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scatman, your ideas are good ones. I'm sure such savings exist for Manhattan, because that has always been the favored borough, just the way subways are favored over buses.

But you won't find such potential savings in other boroughs within NYCT. When you cut service, it is usually accompanied by a loss in ridership. The reverse is true when you increase service. The problem is that the MTA doesn't see it that way. They believe if you cut service all the riders will just reallocate themselves on the remaining buses and if you increase service, it will just cost them more without any increase in revenue, although this theory has been proven wrong time and time again.

Under this philosophy, and with the bus-subway bias, they will only add bus service if it is combined with a service cut elsewhere in the same area. If they first cut service, (as you suggest they do in Manhattan) they will not apply the savings to adding service elsewhere. It will just become the new baseline. This bias does not exist when it comes to subways. If service is added somewhere, it doesn't have to be cut elsewhere.

When ridership traffic checks are conducted, service is only readjusted within existing routes, which is why we have the evening situation you described in Manhattan. NY could benefit by a separate set of routes during late evening and nightime hours, where routes are combined as you suggested. Other citiies do this.

There is absolutely no imagination when it comes to bus planning in New York. Example. The B61 will be spilt into two routes, the B 61 and B62. There is no way that this will result in increased usage of the B61 because it will be too short of a route. The decline in patronage will result in a service reduction at the next pick. Without any complex reroutings, the B61 could have been combined with the short B77, saving money and resulting in more riders.
JA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: service cuts Reply with quote

scatman wrote:
the queens and nassau li bus lines that overlap will be streamlined into combined timetables also - the libus lines will operate locally within queens and buses will depart jamaica and flushing at even time intervals - lines will be split between queens and nassau garages

You will destroy the reliability in both sectors. Buses that run next to each other are not always great merger partners. Ridership would plunge because the routes will be long and unreliable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: